The Ukrainian Association of Saint John
The mission of the Ukrainian Association of Saint John (UASJ) is:
1. to provide a platform for coordinating the activities of the growing Ukrainian community in the Saint John region;
2. to help save lives in Ukraine while the Russian aggression continues, and to help rebuild Ukraine after the victory;
3. to support the arrival, settlement, and integration of the newcomers from Ukraine in the Saint John region; and
4. to promote a better understanding of Ukraine and Ukrainians among the local community in the Saint John region.
Everyone taking part in the activities of the UASJ will commit to pursuing the Mission of the Association in a productive and collaborative manner. Members of the UASJ will do their best to maintain a supportive environment, respect each other’s differences, and maintain and nurture an atmosphere of open communication, trust, reciprocity, and shared responsibility.
The UASJ will not tolerate among its members any instances of discrimination, as defined by item 15 (1) of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms: “based on race, national or ethnic origin, color, religion, sex, age or mental or physical disability.
”Membership and governance
Note – As the Association matures, its membership criteria and governance processes will evolve in response to various challenges arising during its operation. Currently, the membership criteria and governance principles of the UASJ are as follows: The overall governance of the Ukrainian Association of Saint John is done by the Board of Directors which currently comprises the President, Vice President, and Treasurer. Members of the Board of Directors are elected by the general vote among the members of the UASJ.
Members of the Board of Directors should meet the following criteria:
– Have some connection to Ukraine.
– Not be the citizens of the aggressor states Russia or Belarus.
– Be willing and able to dedicate their time and effort to leading the UASJ in implementing its mission.
Members of the Ukrainian Association of Saint John should meet the following criteria:
– Support the Mission and adhere to the Values of the UASJ.
– Continuously participate in implementing one or more activity streams of the UASJ.
– Dedicate as much time and effort as they realistically can to contributing to the activities of the UASJ.
The Association also welcomes any forms of contribution from the community volunteers. The difference between the community volunteers and the members of the UASJ is that the involvement of the volunteers would usually be one-off and irregular, whereas the members of the UASJ would participate continuously over time.
It is important to note that the Ukrainian Association of Saint John is equally grateful to everyone who takes part in its activities and supports the UASJ in any way. The distinction between different statuses – Board Director, member, volunteer – is needed for purely technical reasons: to simplify decision-making processes, allowing the Association to be more efficient in implementing its Mission.
The preferred method of decision-making within activity streams is through consensus (i.e. by agreement of all members of the group). If the consensus within the group cannot be reached, the decision is taken by a vote among the members of the UASJ participating in that group. In the rare cases when the vote within the group does not lead to a decision, the issue is escalated to the UASJ’s Board of Directors, who have a final say. The Board can reach the decision either through consensus or by a majority vote among themselves.
If you would like to join the Ukrainian Association of Saint John, please send us an email to email@example.com
You can also support the UASJ by a donation [“donation” – link to Section2: Donate] or in some other way [“some other way” – link to Section3: Support in Other ways]. We are grateful to everyone for their support: whichever way you choose to do it! No effort is too small, every little help!
Слава Україні! Glory to Ukraine!